Sunday, January 23, 2011

For almost a year now Dusty and I have been planning on remodeling the kitchen.  We have saved up the money so let the fun begin!

These are a few pictures from before we moved in.  The walls were periwinkle color almost and while it wasn't really a bad color, it wasn't really me.  Once again the sink in this house was also not very large or deep like all my other sinks I've had.  The thing I like best about this kitchen though (and something I don't want to give up) are the large cabinets.  They are old and have make use of all the space so we are just refinishing them so I don't lose any storage space.
In this picture below you can also catch a glimpse of the nasty flooring in there.  It was a nice gold and off white color with many chips out of it.  No amount of scrubbing could improve it.
 Here in this picture you can see there was no counter top on the one wall and the bump out was an old unused chimney.  Dusty plans to knock out that chimney and make me a upper cabinet there and a new counter top and cupboards under it.
I am a lucky gal to have such a talented husband!
 Alright, getting the show on the road now!
Chimney has been removed!  That was allot harder job then first might have been expected.  The boys and I went to CR to visit Nana for this demo project.  Glad we did too.  Dusty and Gramps tackled this one and everything within 20 ft. of this project, including the humans, was covered in black soot.  Yes, black soot since the lower six feet of the old chimney was FULL of soot.
Now I have a my new cabinet, microwave shelf, counter top and lower cupboard.  I couldn't be happier!
(oh yeah and that little skinny cupboard and counter top is stationary, it wasn't before)
 Nasty tile back splash is now gone.  Primer is up.  Counter top is in.  Things are moving along now.

 Here is a glimpse of the handy man at work.
 Closer look at the new floor and the new counter tops.
 Here is our new wall color.  Not something I would have headed towards right away since I usually go for the happy colors like light yellow and oranges, but both Dusty and I had picked out a deeper orange color and we went with Dusty's pick.  It was a good one!  We both really like it.
 More paint and a peek at Tom the plumber putting in the new sink and faucet.
 Painting done.  Tile is going up now.  So exciting.

 Look at the awesome glass tiles we found!  They are great.
 Our new lighting in the kitchen.  No more buzzing from the crazy four foot florescent light that used to be in there that usually had ladybugs in it.
 Some finished pictures.  The grout is now done.

 There is my beautiful new sink.  Much better.

Looking good!  We love it. Now we just have to refinish all the cabinets.  Inside and out.  Yikes!

No comments: